Common Core Math Standards
Although there is nothing final as far as what the common core math standards will look like at the high school level, some things have been released that give us a taste of what we should expect.
SIX SHIFTS IN MATHEMATICS INSTRUCTION (http://www.EngageNY.org)
EIGHT STANDARDS FOR MATHEMATICAL PRACTICE (http://illustrativemathematics.org/practices)
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
TOOLS FOR THE COMMON CORE STANDARDS
Bill McCallum is one of the writers of the common core standards. His blog is found at http://commoncoretools.wordpress.com/. On his blog, you will find news about tools that are being developed to support implementation of the Common Core State Standards. He often asks for feedback and comments on what is being created. This is a great opportunity to voice your opinion.